POWHATAN, VA — The mother of a 20-year-old nursing student is sharing her heart-wrenching story after a driver fled the scene of a single-car crash in Powhatan on November 17, 2024, leaving her daughter severely injured.
While all three passengers, including 20-year-old Natalie Houston, survived the crash, the driver, Robin Wood, ran from the scene and remained at large for four months. The case has drawn attention for the shocking actions of the driver and the severe consequences faced by the Houston family.
Kesha Houston, Natalie’s mother, spoke with 8News about the traumatic experience, explaining how her daughter’s life was forever changed in an instant. “This is stuff you see on TV or you hear about, and you don’t ever think you’d be affected by it,” Houston said, visibly emotional. She shared photos documenting the aftermath of the brutal crash, which left the vehicle nearly unrecognizable.
The incident began when Natalie and two friends were riding home from Short Pump when the car, allegedly driven by Wood, was spotted by a police officer. As the officer’s sirens sounded, Natalie urged Wood to pull over. However, Wood allegedly disregarded her plea and accelerated instead, speeding at 91 mph, as evidenced by a screenshot from Natalie’s Life360 app. In a desperate attempt to protect her friend, Natalie helped her adjust her position and ensure her seatbelt was fastened as Wood veered into a wooded backroad in Powhatan.
The car ultimately crashed, and while the passengers survived, Wood fled on foot, abandoning the scene. The driver remained missing until last week when he turned himself in to Virginia State Police. Wood is currently in custody without bond, facing multiple felony charges.
Houston’s family is now grappling with the consequences of Wood’s actions. The crash left Natalie with a spinal cord injury and severe physical and mental trauma, forcing the family to deal with over $100,000 in medical bills. Houston described her daughter as an “old soul” and one of the kindest individuals, noting how Natalie had always dreamed of becoming a nurse to help others. Despite the challenges, Houston is grateful that her daughter is alive and hopeful for her 21st birthday celebration next month. “We get to celebrate 21, which is next month, and I didn’t think we would have that,” she said, fighting back tears.
Although the battle for justice is still in its early stages, Houston emphasized that her daughter’s resilience and kind-hearted nature are what continue to shine through, even in the face of adversity. “She would be one to forgive him and move on, but he needs to face charges for what he did,” Houston added. “Her life has changed forever.”
Wood, now facing felony charges, will remain in custody as the case progresses. A judge recently denied a motion to release him on bond, and his attorney has not yet responded to 8News’ request for comment. The case is scheduled to return to court on May 1, 2025.